Former world No. 1 Angelique Kerber will miss the next several months on tour. (Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

Angelique Keber will miss the US Open, with the three-time Grand Slam champion announcing Wednesday that she is expecting her first child.

A former world No. 1 who won the US Open in 2016, Kerber said she wanted to play in the upcoming major but “decided that two against one just isn’t a fair competition.” She also said she will be taking a break from competition for at least the next several months.

“I believe it’s for the best possible reason!” she wrote in the Instagram post. “I will miss all of you.

“New York has often been a turning point in my career and it feels like this year will be no different in some way! From restarting my career in 2011 to winning the title in 2016 and becoming #1 in the world… the US Open has a special place in my heart and I wish I could have said goodbye to all of you on the court before not being on tour for awhile.”

While Kerber said her life as an athlete and the fan support “means everything” to her, she also said she is looking forward to her “new path.”

“To be honest, I’m nervous but excited at the same time,” she wrote.

Kerber had been playing well in recent majors, making the round of 32 at this year’s French Open and at Wimbledon, one year after making the semifinals at the grass court event.