Jessica Pegula isn't ruling out a 2026 US Open protest — but she isn't committing to a boycott either.
At the 2026 Cincinnati Open on Monday, the WTA Player Council rep said that players are waiting on a purse update from the Queens tournament before deciding their next move.
Jessica Pegula Leads US Open Protest Conversations
"We're still waiting on a prize money announcement, so we haven't really made any big decisions," Pegula said.
At the heart of the dispute is revenue share. In 2024, the US Open pulled in over $559 million in operating revenue but paid players just $75 million, roughly 13.4% of the total tournament profits. Even after last year's bump to $90 million and a 15% share, players across both tours want Grand Slams to reach 22% by 2030.
Still, Pegula acknowledged the conversation is moving in a positive direction.
"They have definitely come to the table as far as wanting to change some of the stuff that's been going on," she said. "We've been in more communication with a lot of the Grand Slams, especially the US Open. They've been very open to wanting to improve things."
The push already sparked action earlier this season. Players staged a media protest at Roland Garros in May, limiting press availability to just 15 minutes. Now, a potential US Open boycott looms if the numbers fall short again.
The tournament typically announces its purse in early August, but Pegula hinted more conversations will be taking place in the next week, which may be contributing to the delay.