Alexia Putellas has been named the 2021 Ballon d’Or winner, awarded to the best female footballer. She is the first Spanish player to win the award since 1960.
The 27-year-old Barcelona captain had a banner year on the field. She helped the club capture their first Champions League crown with a 4-0 defeat of Chelsea in the final, rounding out a season that included winning the Primera Division and Copa de la Reina.
Putellas maintained her place among Europe’s best, finishing the 2020-21 season as the highest-scoring midfielder with 26 goals. She was also named UEFA’s Women’s Player of the Year and Midfielder of the Year.
The 2021 Women's #ballondor is... @alexiaputellas 🇪🇸 of @FCBfemeni ! pic.twitter.com/cwSMaSKw2U— Ballon d'Or #ballondor (@francefootball) November 29, 2021
The 2021 Women's #ballondor is... @alexiaputellas 🇪🇸 of @FCBfemeni ! pic.twitter.com/cwSMaSKw2U
Putellas’ teammate, Jennifer Hermoso, finished second while Chelsea’s Sam Kerr came in third.
Vivianne Miedema, who was named the 2021 BBC Women’s Football of the Year, finished fourth.
1. Alexia Putellas (Barcelona/Spain, midfielder)
2. Jennifer Hermoso (Barcelona/Spain, forward)
3. Sam Kerr (Chelsea/ Australia, forward)
4. Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal/Netherlands, forward)
5. Lieke Martens (Barcelona/Netherlands, midfielder)
6. Christine Sinclair (Portland Thorns/Canada, forward)
7. Pernille Harder (Chelsea/Denmark, midfielder)
8. Ashley Lawrence (Paris Saint-Germain/Canada, defender)
9. Jessie Fleming (Chelsea/Canada, midfielder)
10. Fran Kirby (Chelsea/England, forward)