all scores

Canadian swimmer says she was drugged at World Championships

Canada’s Mary-Sophie Harvey competes at the 2022 World Aquatics Championships in Budapest. (Photo by Attila Kisbenedek/AFP via Getty Images)

Canadian swimmer Mary-Sophie Harvey said Wednesday via Instagram that she was drugged on the final night of the FINA World Championships in Budapest, Hungary, in June.

In the post, Harvey says that there is a “four-to-six hour window where I can’t recall a single thing.” In addition to a statement, Harvey shared photographs of bruising that she received while unconscious. Harvey added that there are other bruises she didn’t feel comfortable sharing.

Harvey was competing in her first World Championships meet since 2017. She swam in the 200-meter individual medley and finished in eighth, and she won a bronze medal as part of the women’s 4×200 freestyle relay team. Harvey also competed for Canada at last year’s Olympics.

In her post, the swimmer said she has “never felt more ashamed.”

“It felt like the body I was in, wasn’t mine (it still feels this way),” she wrote. “I got home and found a dozen bruises on my body. Some of my friends told me afterwards that they had to carry me while I was unconscious and it probably explained why.”

Harvey wrote that she wound up going to the hospital where she received testing and treatment. There, it was revealed she had suffered a rib sprain and small concussion.

“To anyone reading this, please be careful,” she continued. “I thought I was safe, that it would never happen to me, especially while being surrounded by friends. But it did…and I wish someone and educated me on the matter prior to that night.

“I’m still scared to think about the unknowns of that night.”

Swimming Canada responded to SwimSwam when asked about the incident and revealed that, to the organization’s knowledge, athletes had left the team hotel on the final night of the championships.

“We are aware there was an incident the night before departure from Budapest,” they wrote. “As soon as team staff became aware, Mary received excellent medical treatment from our team physician on site, and was cleared to travel home.

“Staff have been in contact with Mary since her return and we are offering her support. We continue to gather information on the situation, and the file has been forwarded to our independent Safe Sport officer.”

A statement from FINA was later issued to CNN.

“We are in contact with Swimming Canada and the Local Organising Committee. In 2021, FINA adopted widespread measures aimed at safeguarding athletes and an Independent Investigation Officer will be assigned to investigate the matter further,” FINA said.